Whew! We've been really busy since Friday night. We finished the conference last evening, and everything went very well! Friday night I taught one class on Enduring Tests. Then Saturday I taught sessions on Developing People and Investing our Lives in Others. I think all the sessions were well received. Our translator from last conference was not able to be here, but a long time missionary from the States, Paul Wright translated 2 sessions for me. Paul did a fantastic job.
In my last session we had someone who this was their first time translating. We had just a few bumps in the translation, but it worked out and people received the message well.
This time the conference was in a different facility than last May. This conference was held in the church of Pastor Juan Carlos. Attendance was really good, probably around 500 participants on Saturday. I know that there were people attending from all around the region. Some traveled over a 100 miles to be here. There are churches represented from across many denominations, which I have learned is a big deal in their culture.
Pastor Jorge from Uruguay (who was the trainer from the first conference) was the other trainer with me on this conference. Jorge has now agreed to continue on, and will be training with me at the remaining conferences.
I have more good news: we now have luggage!! Shortly before Friday's conference started, our luggage arrived at the hotel. Yes! Thank you Lord, we can now wear clean clothes. Its funny how being without something can so quickly make you appreciative for it. When they arrived, we were only missing Patty's cosmetic kit (apparently was stolen) but we were so thankful to get clothes we didn't care.
Overall, I think this conference was very successful. I had spent a lot of time in preparation, and in prayer for the conference. I'm glad I was not really nervous at all, which was a real blessing. I'm also starting to hear more of the feedback from the first conference, and that has been truly amazing. I learned that several churches are taking the material and teaching to their leaders within their church (which is the Equip model). But I also learned that at least one church is now offering a seminar to their community (outside their church) and inviting local businesses. Several people indicated to me that this material had been useful within their churches, especially in many areas that we as North Americans take for granted, but where they do not have good role models.
But, the story that touched me the most came since the last conference. The conference team here called many participants to remind them of the dates and invite them to come back. When they called one lady she explained that she came to the first conference, but was not a Christian then. She came because of our topics and was interested in leadership development. But after the conference she came to Christ and got plugged into one of the churches. She is now encouraging others in her church to attend the conference and use what they learned in the church.
I'm really sensing that God is using this program to energize His church in this region, and I count it a privilege to be a part of that.
Sunday, November 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Go on with your bad self!
I don't think I could say it any better than Rachel said it! Its great to see what God is doing through you, Ray!
Post a Comment